Break a Leg!: Ridge Cabaret 2017

Keri Zhang ‘17, Entertainment Editor

Cabaret takes the stage again, all sparkling costumes and supersonic voices, bringing Broadway to Basking Ridge. Every year, Ridge Concert Choir hosts Cabaret—a show of twenty Broadway numbers chosen, choreographed, and performed by students.

Auditions vet the hopeful student performers, who try out with microphones and in complete costume. Students can either audition for a maximum of two solo pieces or small group numbers. The concert choir class scores all auditions, thirty-five this year, and twenty numbers are performed for Cabaret.

Rahul Mirchandani ‘17, who performs in various pieces (“Good Riddance,” “Nicest Kids in Town,” and “Glory”), mentions the joys of auditioning for Cabaret: “It gives everyone a taste of musical theater, which is great if you’re like me and want to experience that, but do not participate in the musicals and plays that the Drama Club puts on.”

Cabaret auditions are open to anyone interested in performing musical theater.

Cabaret also allows performers full freedom—students then spend the following week choreographing group numbers and practicing solo pieces. Almost everyone in Cabaret performs in multiple pieces: girls’ group numbers, boys’ group numbers, solos, and full cast numbers are featured. Cabaret has always highlighted dynamic student talent—their superb voices, spirited dancing, and skilled acting chops. This year’s selection of songs range from the well-known songs such as “Hairspray” to the whimsical songs from “Seussical the Musical.”

Emily Kopchains ‘17, who performs “I’ll Be Here” and “Sing!”, describes the rewards of performing in Cabaret: “Being onstage is really what the whole thing is about for me. I love choreographing and all the planning that happens, but none of that would be worth anything without that one, final performance. It’s just such a great rush to put myself out there and to show everyone all the work I put in for the past months.”

Cabaret will be held in the Ridge PAC, March 15. Tickets, if preordered, are $10. Come for an exciting night of singing, dancing, and incredible Ridge talent!