Holidays with the Choir: A Ridge Tradition

Art credits to Joyce An!

Maddie King '16, Layout Editor

On December 15, the Ridge choir program will bring their talented voices to the PAC to continue a beloved yearly tradition: the Winter Choral Concert.

The Winter Concert has been a staple of the holiday season for many years at Ridge, and has continually proven to be a main event. The concert itself is a simple program, but its simplicity places the full attention on the songs at the concert and the people singing them. The concert follows a straightforward line-up in which groups perform: Chorale, A Cappella Choir, and finally, Concert Choir. These groups have been preparing for months on end, and their hard work is about to pay off.

The Chorale begins the concert with their holiday songs. “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” and a fun version of “Deck the Halls” are just some of their festive numbers for this year. The Chorale is a class that meets every day 9th period, and contains all freshman and sophomore girls who are a part of the choir program. They have rehearsed these numbers in class every day since the beginning of the year and have memorized them as the concert draws near.

Immediately following the Chorale, the A Cappella Choir takes the stage. The members of this group are also part of either the Chorale or Concert Choir, and this group serves as an honors choir, where anyone interested in joining must audition. The A Cappella Choir has been memorizing their songs since the end of last June.

All of that dedication has been demonstrated by the A Cappella Choir’s caroling events around town in the beginning of December. Beginning on November 30, the caroling events have taken the students to venues such as St. James Church, Bishop Janes Church, and Somerville Caroling Festival, where they performed festive songs,  free to the public. The concert is free as well, and it gives the public multiple chances to see this wonderful group in action.

Last but certainly not least, the Concert Choir performs. The Concert Choir consists of all the boys involved in the choir program, in addition to all junior and senior girls. Some of the songs in this year’s set include the Hanukkah song “S’vivon” and an ode to the weather rightfully titled “Snow, Beautiful Snow”. Concert Choir is also a class at Ridge, and it meets every day during 8th period. These numbers have been rehearsed in class every day since early September, much like in Chorale.

In addition to its somewhat less conventional holiday songs, the Concert Choir repertoire contains two hallmarked traditions regarding its two final pieces, “O Holy Night” and “Hallelujah Chorus.” For the former, all alumni of the choir program in attendance are invited onstage to sing. For the latter, anyone in the audience is welcome to join in a happy finale that leaves everyone excited for the holidays.

The Winter Concert is a thrill for everyone involved, but it’s even more special for the seniors in the program. Caitlin Murray ’16 describes her excitement: “I am thrilled to be a part of the concert. It’s going to be a great show this year.” Seniors also have a chance to audition for a solo in “O Holy Night,” one of the rare solo opportunities for the year. This year, Seraphima Morrow ’16 is the soloist. It stands as a symbol of status for a senior, and it’s a privilege to join the ranks of past students who have continued the tradition. The concert lets the seniors enjoy the choir program one last time as students and as active members of the program.