Prison Break: Art Field Trip to Eastern State Penitentiary

Photo credits to Erika Woo!

Keri Zhang ‘17, Entertainment Editor

Intimidating gray walls and iron doors greet visitors of the Eastern State Penitentiary, built in the early 1800s. Led by art teachers Mrs. Falb and Mrs. Jeffrey, the Art Department and its AP classes visited the historic prison in search of inspiration. Classes also stopped by famous Philadelphia landmark, Reading Terminal, for a quick lunch.

The prison, opened in 1829 by the Philadelphia Society, differed from the unstructured cells of its day. Eastern State, with its fear and regret-inducing walls, provided rigid structure and isolation for its inmates. The prison also pioneered the prison rehabilitation movement, hoping to help inmates find remorse and become more pious individuals for release. Eastern State, has also housed famous inmates, including Al Capone, whose cell remains intact as an exhibit. The prison closed in 1971.

Now, the prison serves as a historic landmark and art gallery. Visitors can marvel at the geometric, stoic architecture or take tours to learn about the penitentiary’s history. The prison campus also features several art galleries focusing on the experiences of the incarcerated.

The building inspired students, both with its atmosphere and its architecture. Wanxing Lu ‘17 recounts her experience at Eastern State Penitentiary: “It was really interesting to see the architecture and history of prisons. My favorite part of the building was that you could stand at one spot and see down all of the halls of the building.”

An aura of mystery still lingers around the building. Rumors of ghost sightings surround the prison, adding a layer of fear. Eric Manaravic, ‘17, speaks of his excursion at Eastern State: “I was really hoping I would see some paranormal activity. I didn’t get to see anything though, [but] it really gave me a lot of ideas for pieces.”

The lofty prison, standing in the distance, waved goodbye as students left after a day of educational fun. Hopefully, the history and architecture provided young artists with plenty of inspiration for their pieces.