What is the “The Addams Family”? : A Short Scene

Avani Bhargava ‘16, Editor-in-Chief

Enter STUDENT 1 and STUDENT 2. They walk through the Ridge High School Performing Arts Center to get to the parking lot. Music drifts out of the auditorium, so they pause by the doors.

(STUDENT 2 glances at the auditorium. STUDENT 1 notices.)

STUDENT 1: I think that’s play practice.

STUDENT 2: Oh, “The Addams Family,” right? February 26 and 27 at 7 P.M.?

STUDENT 1: (nods) Yeah—do you know what it’s about?

STUDENT 2: I’ve heard it’s a musical comedy in which a girl from a dark, creepy family falls in love with a normal guy. That’s all I know, though.

STUDENT 2: From what I’ve heard, Helen Shen ’18 plays Wednesday, who falls in love with Lucas Beineke, played by Chance Friedman ’19. Peyton Kennedy ’16 and Owen McKenna ’17 play Wednesday’s parents, Morticia and Gomez Addams, respectively. Gomez struggles to keep Wednesday’s romance secret from Morticia. It’s supposed to be really funny—their families end up meeting.

(They watch as JESSICA BURCHETT ’16 and OWEN MCKENNA ’17 walk out of the auditorium.)

STUDENT 2: Also, Jessica Burchett and Keith Gallimore ‘16 play Alice and Mal Beineke, Lucas’ “normal” parents. There are Jess and Owen now.

STUDENT 1: Hey, guys! (motions for JESSICA and OWEN to come over) How are rehearsals going?

JESSICA: Everyone is working really hard, and the cast and crew are extremely talented. My experience has been very upbeat and enjoyable. We’re getting so much done – we’ll have a lot of time to really delve into our characters and polish the show.

OWEN: The show is moving along at a good pace—and we’re all having fun working on it too.

JESSICA: Also, everyone is very nice and supportive, including [director] Mrs. Harvey, [choreographer] Mrs. Miranda, and [music director] Mrs. Schaefer.

STUDENT 2: How is the show itself? “The Addams Family”?

OWEN: There are a bunch of reasons why the show is gonna rock. It’s super funny, and it’s a very family-friendly show.

JESSICA: At the same time, it does touch upon very real conflicts in families that everyone can relate to and learn from.

(JESSICA and OWEN have to return to rehearsal. As they leave, ERIN TAYLOR ’16 approaches.)

STUDENT 2: Hey, Erin. You’re in Stage Crew for the play, right? How’s that going?

ERIN: The crew experience has been amazing so far, with a lot of things getting done in the short time frame that we have. Everyone is working together…and it is amazing to watch. I am very excited to Stage Manage my last show at Ridge High School.

STUDENT 1: What is the set like?

ERIN: The set is very innovative, gorgeous, and just like the old Addams Family house that you would see on Broadway. [It] was designed by Mr. Stewart, an arts and ceramics teacher at Ridge. He is also in charge of the Stage Crew.

STUDENT 2: What about lights and sound?

ERIN: Mr. Kern is in charge of lights and sound, and from what I have heard, that is also going very well.

(MRS. HARVEY, director, walks by. STUDENT 1 invites her to join the conversation.)

STUDENT 1: What are you most looking forward to in the musical?

MRS. HARVEY: I am most looking forward to when the curtain goes up opening night…and to see all the hard work of the past months come together…The cast, the crew, the production team, the orchestra, the boosters and the staff have all put in countless hours and lots of energy, finances, time and sleep, so I’m excited for it all to come together! It looks like it’s going to be a great show.

(MRS. HARVEY has to return to rehearsal. She exits.)

STUDENT 1: Sounds like it’s going well.

STUDENT 2: I really want to see the show now. We should buy our tickets soon [at www.ridgepac.com] so we can get good seats.

STUDENT 1: Oh, yeah. I think they’re also selling them outside the cafeteria throughout February, until the first performance.

(Curiosity quenched, the students walk out of the Performing Arts Center, making plans.)

End scene.

“The Addams Family” Additional Credits:

Cast:

Uncle Fester Addams: Sam Prentiss ‘17

Pugsley Addams: Jackie Maese ‘17

Grandma – Rachel Keough ’16

Crew:

President: Erin Taylor ’16

Vice Presidents: Claire Fiocco ’16 and Julia Fiocco ’16

Secretary: Erik Dannenberg ‘16

Student Technical Director: Harris Gartenberg ‘16

Assistant Stage Managers: Adam Miesner ’16 and Avi Zucker ’15

27 Comments

27 Responses to “What is the “The Addams Family”? : A Short Scene”

1. Jasmine on February 24th, 2016 4:18 pm

Neat compositional risks. 9+ material B)

2. Era Atre on February 29th, 2016 11:34 am

This is such a great article! the Addams family was a wonderful show and its really cool that there was almost like a “behind the scenes” look at the play and what it was about! Love it!

3. Niko on February 29th, 2016 11:36 am

I thoughts the short scene was very good

4. Reshma on February 29th, 2016 11:54 am

I like this article because although I didn’t see the play, I got a feel of how it is and how hard the students worked for it. I like how this article was formatted like a script it ties into the topic really well.

5. Sheina patel on February 29th, 2016 11:55 am

Ilike the article bc it shows us what students say and also bc the adams family was an awesome show

6. Olivia Monsul on February 29th, 2016 12:33 pm

The play was awesome!!

7. Saisuki putumbaka on February 29th, 2016 12:40 pm

I loved the short scene. I also watched the musical and it was really good. Probably the best out of all my four years at ridge. I think this short scene is a good attention grabber.

8. Anusha Siddaramanna on February 29th, 2016 12:41 pm

I loved how you used the interview to show what people thought about the musical. Especially your interview with the teacher. I think it added a lot more depth to the opinion of the musical. I thought the musical was well developed and the acting was perfect.

9. Kevin Yu on February 29th, 2016 12:59 pm

The Addams family was a great musical. I didn’t realize the school had it in its budget to fund a production like this. As soon as I walked into the school you could see the production team really went all out with the red carpet and the spooky decorations. I also didn’t realize just how talented many of the students at Ridge are, Helen and Owen had great solo performances, and you could really hear their range. Overall, the musical was very entertaining, well acted, and just a good time in general.

10. Amanda on February 29th, 2016 1:15 pm

This is such a great article! Really creative Avani! The show went so well, so glad everyone enjoyed it!

11. Jeesoo Park on February 29th, 2016 1:16 pm

I liked this and I thought that the Addams Family was a really good musical. I played in the pit but I wish that i could have seen the play from an audience point of view

12. Katherine on February 29th, 2016 1:17 pm

It’s very rare to see and hear the inner workings of a musical production – this article took a very unique perspective with the short scene as well. Fantastic job!

13. Kishan Gandham on February 29th, 2016 1:19 pm

I really enjoyed the concept of the Addams family, and from what I have heard about the play, its seems to be paying off. The actors are really talented, and with this much dedication put in this year, I am excited to see plays in the future.

14. iman on February 29th, 2016 1:19 pm

the play was reeeeally nice and i wish i could watch it again 🙁

15. John Suazo on February 29th, 2016 1:20 pm

it was really awesome great job ^^b

16. Sarah Desatnick on February 29th, 2016 1:21 pm

Although I did not get the opportunity to see the show, this article really showed me how hard the actors work and how dedicated they really are.

17. Ellen Mahoney on February 29th, 2016 1:22 pm

Although I couldn’t see the Adams Family play, this was a lot of incentive for me to go see one next year. I really enjoyed this article and how it sowed what the play was comprised of

18. Maddie King on February 29th, 2016 1:22 pm

Avani you really conveyed all the hard work everyone put into the musical and the way you wrote this article is so cool! Thank you!

19. Marlo Smith on February 29th, 2016 1:24 pm

The musical was so much fun to be a part of; I’m so glad we could be acknowledged in such a great way!

20. Paige Smyth on February 29th, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks for the article! I’m glad everyone enjoyed the show as much as the cast and crew 🙂

21. Savitha Krishnan on February 29th, 2016 1:30 pm

I love the format of the article and I love how you’re bringing attention to this amazing production! (I watched the Friday show and it was rather fantabulous.) This article is fun to read and interesting <3

22. Aria on February 29th, 2016 1:33 pm

After seeing the show, I can attest the magnificence of the sets, the costumes, acting and directing. It was truly one of the best shows Ridge has put on. In commenting on the actual article, I really enjoyed the creativity and uniqueness with which the author wrote it. The fact that the student wrote it as an actual play really engaged me as a reader. All in all, I congratulate the cast, crew and the author on a great show and article.

23. Hanna on February 29th, 2016 1:36 pm

I thought the show was absolutley fabulous!

24. Hanna on February 29th, 2016 1:36 pm

thing singing was on point and the show was comical

25. Bella Saylan on February 29th, 2016 1:44 pm

Hey Avani!
    This is a great article, arguably an all time personal best. I personally did not see the show, and I have regrets after reading this article. The time invested into the show is unbelievable, by the cast and crew alike.

26. Sahiba on February 29th, 2016 2:06 pm

I was part of the Addam’s Family and it was a great experience. The set design was great and all of the actors were brilliant. While I was doing sound I kept singing along. My favorite had to be One Normal Night. It was stressful making sure all the mics were muted or I muted but it was a great experience. I made so many great friends during this experience.

27. Mr. Stellitano on February 29th, 2016 2:22 pm

The Addams family play seems like it was very interesting from what I just read. I wish i would have seen the play!

Ridge High School News At Its Finest