New Iced Coffee Item Serves Up Big Hit

Hyojin Lee ‘16, Editor-in-Chief

As dramatic happenings occur at Ridge High School in the form of Italian exchange students, new AP classes, and an in-school PSAT, the cafeteria proves to be no exception. This fall, the school cafeteria opened with the exciting addition of iced coffees, along with cornbread, peaches, and a pancake food item, to the school lunch line.

The iced coffees are undoubtedly the stars of the lunch line. Many students, eager for their daily dose of caffeine, clamor at the pizza line for their drinks. Indeed, this beverage, which comes in chocolate, caramel, and vanilla as well as other unique flavors such as pumpkin pie, seems to be giving even the chicken tenders some competition in the lunchroom–a never-before-seen phenomenon.

A drink described as “rather sweet” yet “watery,” the iced coffee is less the bitter Americano that hardcore coffee-drinkers seek and more the creamy, milk-dominated treat that the younger crowd often appreciates. It tastes sweeter than one would expect, while maintaining a background palate of coffee and other notes of flavor.

During hall crossings, the outgoing foodie student casually sipping an appealing iced coffee has become a common sight. Many appreciate the availability of the beverage in the mornings and during lunch periods, for they claim that the caffeine helps them stay awake. However, complaints have arisen about the dearth of iced coffee during eighth period lunch, commonly bemoaned as the worst lunch period of the day (rivalled only by the painfully early fourth period). Students wishing to try the new item often mournfully exit eighth period laid low by caffeine withdrawal.

For the most part, the addition is much appreciated. Yamini Bokka ’16 commented that while the “pumpkin pie was way too sweet,” the coffee overall is a solid drink for the warmer months. She went on to compare it to the Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee – an opinion that has been echoed by quite a few students. Terri Waldron ’16 agrees, citing the fact that both the Dunkin’ iced coffee and the school iced coffee are “really watery.” Aside from these slight drawbacks, both students appreciate the quality from the school’s first-time baristas.

On the other hand, some students appreciate the watered-down quality of the iced coffee. Colin Kim ’17 argues, “It was really watery, but I liked that it was watery.” He ended up concluding that he would, in fact, recommend the drink to a fellow student.

The overall consensus seems to be enthusiastic – if not gushing – approval of the new drink. With all the comparisons to Dunkin’ Donuts going around, Ridge just may be the new joint in town for the morning drink in hand.

36 Comments

36 Responses to “New Iced Coffee Item Serves Up Big Hit”

1. Christina Aiello on November 16th, 2015 11:11 am

Really good article! I love the iced coffee!

2. James Feng on November 16th, 2015 11:13 am

I agree, because I love the iced coffee too. I don’t use it to stay awake (because somehow my body really doesn’t use a stimulant), but I agree that the flavor is somewhat very unique and different from the other additions to the lunch line such as the cornbread or pancakes. I also feel that this new drink has caused much competition to the loved “chicken fingers” that has set the record for the most popular food. Now, I see people drinking the iced coffee every day.

3. Jessica Booth on November 16th, 2015 11:17 am

I thought this article was very interesting and accurately represented the students’ standpoints. I wasn’t aware of the iced coffee craze before hand and now I am more aware of what’s going on in Ridge. This article was fun to read and I felt as though a fellow classmate was speaking to me like normal. All in all, great article!

4. Isabel DiPalo on November 16th, 2015 11:20 am

I agree that the new iced coffees are watery, but they have become the highlight of my day. While I do love these cold beverages, I find it slightly concerning how students have become so addicted to coffee, and needed a boost during the day, every single day.

5. Catherine on November 16th, 2015 11:21 am

I don’t particularly like the iced coffee but it’s a great addition! The school should have hot chocolate too!

6. Zoe on November 16th, 2015 11:28 am

As a huge fan of coffee, I think it was a great idea to make iced coffee available. The coffee is a little watery, but the various flavors make up for that!

7. mariana on November 16th, 2015 11:39 am

you wrote an article on iced coffee and it was actually interesting! nice job!

8. Niko Busnach on November 16th, 2015 11:40 am

i thought it was a good artical

9. Evan Driscoll on November 16th, 2015 11:47 am

I thought that this article written by the ever famous Hyojin Lee was very insightful about the new phenomena of coffee drinking in school. I personally dislike the school coffee, but can see the validity of Hyojin’s points.

10. Catherine on November 16th, 2015 11:54 am

Wow! I have to say I related a lot to this particular article. As a coffee addict (I admit that I am), I always seemed to complain with the quality of the normal school coffee. But-like many in this article- I agree the iced coffee is a “must have” item and keeps me awake for at least the first half of the day.

11. kiera Murphy on November 16th, 2015 12:02 pm

I love iced coffee and I am glad they added it to the menu! It is a very popular item.

12. Christina Heathcote on November 16th, 2015 12:03 pm

I love the mocha flavor! So does Sophia Canzano!

13. Georgia Jennings on November 16th, 2015 12:06 pm

The iced coffee is a great addition! My favorite flavor is the mocha flavor!

14. Sophia on November 16th, 2015 12:13 pm

Personally, I love the new coffee! Helps me stay energized after a bad nights sleep.

15. Katie on November 16th, 2015 12:15 pm

Great Idea, I love getting coffee in the morning after not getting enough sleep

16. Alyssa Powers on November 16th, 2015 12:20 pm

I agree with Colin Kim that it is watered down, but I love Ice coffee so it’s good anyway. This article is very good, I like how the author got quotes from different students.

17. Sanjana Prasad on November 16th, 2015 12:36 pm

I was considering trying the Ridge High School iced coffee, as a coffee addict, and I was looking for some reliable feedback as to its taste. Thank you for shedding some light as to the iced coffee’s popularity and taste!

18. Amanda on November 16th, 2015 12:38 pm

I’m a huge fan of the iced coffee because it’s a little sweet for me, but it’s really helpful for keeping me awake during the day. I also think you raise a good point about the scarcity of iced coffees, and I think the cafeteria is trying to remedy that issue by premaking some iced coffees.

19. Isabela on November 16th, 2015 12:41 pm

I really like the new iced coffee at school! It is really nice because it’s good and you don’t have to waste time in the morning by stopping at Dunkin donut on the way. It’s really nice also because you can get it all times of the day, not just the morning!

20. Madison on November 16th, 2015 12:43 pm

I agree! Iced coffee at ridge is a great advancement Good job @aramark #ice #coffee

21. Addie Schmitt on November 16th, 2015 12:45 pm

Completely agree with the article as the iced coffees were a necessitie for those impossible Monday mornings. However the straws are a bit long…

22. Chandni Singhvi on November 16th, 2015 12:57 pm

Love the new iced coffee’s, I think they are a great addition to the beverage items. They are obviously extremely popular among the Ridge students, being that all students are bombarded with stress, and late nights very often.

23. Nancy Saccento on November 16th, 2015 1:01 pm

I,m not sure that all the extra caffeine is such a good thing for students.

24. Lauren Grimaldi Caitlin Davidson on November 16th, 2015 1:04 pm

i like iced coffee

25. skylar and haley on November 16th, 2015 1:07 pm

Iced coffee keeps me awake during class, this article shows how how iced coffee is commonly liked

26. skylar and haley on November 16th, 2015 1:09 pm

I love the iced coffee its really good and keeps everyone awake and active during the day

27. skylar and haley on November 16th, 2015 1:12 pm

Iced coffee has boomed in the coffee market over the past couple of years as it has been adopted by food chains like Starbucks. It is indicative of RIdge High School’s elitist nature!

28. dani Hyde on November 16th, 2015 1:23 pm

Its great that the school is creating more options in the lunchroom for students!

29. Emily Pan on November 16th, 2015 1:33 pm

Hyojin’s article is very interesting. It was cool to see what other students thought of the new iced coffees and I agree with many of the statements.

30. Emily Pan on November 16th, 2015 1:33 pm

31. Jared Weinerman on November 16th, 2015 2:01 pm

I think this is a great idea since many people come into school looking for something good to drink. Many people are now more awake in class.

32. Lauren on November 16th, 2015 2:03 pm

A great article! Never tried the coffee before but now I may! Will definitely save time in the morning rather going to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts

33. Tori Rosenthal on November 16th, 2015 2:04 pm

This was a great article. I have tried the pumpkin spice coffee and I agree with yamini bokka that the pumpkin spice is too sweet.

34. Eli Paul on November 16th, 2015 2:06 pm

The iced coffee is definitely a very good edition to the lunch line options. The caffeine hits the spot.

35. Aileen Pradhan on November 16th, 2015 2:09 pm

I have not tried any of the additions to the lunch menu, but the review and descriptions of the coffee have convinced me to try it.

36. Caroline Olsen on November 16th, 2015 2:16 pm

I agree with the article. I think that we should keep the coffee as it is because of how most students like it the way it is. I personally like the iced coffee as they serve it at the school.

Ridge High School News At Its Finest
New Iced Coffee Item Serves Up Big Hit