What’s PARCC, Exactly?

Sarah Ho ’17, School News Editor

What is the PARCC test?

Principal Howlett explains, “The PARCC test is a test to determine the progress school districts are making towards implementing the Common Core Standards.  It is administered in grades 3 – 11 once per year.”

The PARCC test is comprised of two sections, the English Language Arts/Literacy (ELA) component and the Mathematics component. Both sections are scored out 850 points each. The scores are further broken down into five levels. Level 1 consists of scores 650-699, Level 2 consists of scores 700-724, Level 3 consists of scores 725-749, Level 4 consists of scores 750-802, and Level 5 consists of scores 803-850. Students whose scores lie in Levels 4 or 5 are considered to be college-ready by PARCC.

Why does Ridge administer it?

PARCC—which stands for the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers—represents a conglomerate of states within the United States that annually collaborates on and administers the PARCC assessment. Because New Jersey is a part of PARCC, Ridge is required to administer the test by state mandate.

How does PARCC differ from other standardized tests such as the NJASK, the SAT, or the PSAT?

Because PARCC is meant to replace the NJASK for grades 3-8 and the HSPA for grade 11, it has a similar purpose of gauging student aptitude across schools. However, Principal Howlett states that “PARCC tests Common Core Standards” specifically, while tests such as the SAT or PSAT are simply “aptitude test[s].”

Another striking disparity between PARCC and previous school standardized tests is that PARCC tests critical thinking through questions that are more difficult and rely on more reflection and analysis. The PARCC test features lengthier, involved reading passages and more open-ended responses in lieu of multiple choice questions.

Additionally, because PARCC is a purely computer-based assessment that allows students a generous amount of time with which to complete each section, the test minimizes the time pressure that accompanies such tests. As a result, students are given more time to write essays that are ultimately more thoughtful and insightful.

How big of a role does PARCC currently play in graduation requirements?

A pretty big role. Principal Howlett notes that “any senior who has not obtained a valid test score on the PARCC or substitute options will not be granted a diploma.” Although PARCC only allows students whose scores fall within the Level 4 or 5 ranges to graduate, each state is allowed the right to determine a cut-off score that would render a PARCC test result sufficient for a graduation requirement.

When will PARCC be administered this year and how will it affect the student body?

According to Principal Howlett, “The PARCC will be given April 5-8 using split sessions as [Ridge] did last year. Seniors are exempt from the PARCC English Language Arts section but must take PARCC if they are currently enrolled in Algebra I, Algebra II, or geometry… Parents may refuse to allow their student to participate in PARCC but that could lead to sanctions against [the] school district.”