The Show Goes On: Ridge Marching Band’s Quest to Replicate Last Year’s Success

Art credits to Vivian Yi!

Art credits to Vivian Yi!

Vivek Gurumoorthy ‘17, Sports Editor

The Ridge Marching Band’s most recent season concluded with a state championship triumph over twenty-two other bands. This year, Ridge takes the field with a different band and show, but the end goal remains the same.

With almost 20 former senior members, the class of 2016 significantly contributed to last year’s success. Their graduation brought into question whether the band could withstand flux in the roster. The encouraging size of the freshman class, however, brought band membership to over ninety students. As a result, Ridge Marching Band escalated to Group 4A level of competition in New Jersey.

Krishi Akenapalli ‘20, a new member of band, admits that “even though I’m a freshman, the strong upperclassmen leaders and staff make improving my marching and playing technique much easier. I feel confident in both my own abilities and those of the band as a whole”.

The 2016 season brings a new show called “Royals.” The show features classical music selections, such as “Crown Imperial” and “Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary,” and pairs these pieces with contemporary music, such as Queen’s “Princes of the Universe” and Lorde’s “Royals.” To add to the regal theme, hard-working Ridge Marching Band parents created props, including a large throne and castle walls to place along the front sideline.

The season began with success, with the Marching Band winning their first two competitions in Somerville and Hillsborough. Under the bright lights of MetLife Stadium, Ridge finished fourth out of twelve bands at the Yamaha Cup on October 15th.

With this promising start, the band’s members cannot contain their enthusiasm. Radhika Puppala ‘17 optimistically states, “we’ve got really talented people and a lot of tenacity this year, so that’s bound to make this season the best one yet”. Regarding “Royal,” she adds that “it’s crazy that we randomly dreamed up the idea for ‘Royals’ one day. Now, the finalized show is intricate and fun.”

Although “Royals” is a complex and ambitious show, the band’s spirit never falters amidst challenges. A year removed from the triumph in the state championship, the band has the potential to reclaim its throne.