Stuck at Home for the Summer? Try Exploring Local Landmarks

Art credits to Vivian Yi!

Nicole Kuo '16, Sports Editor

With flowers sprouting and temperatures increasing, the spring season has finally arrived. As the days of schools quickly come to an end, our focuses are directed towards exciting out-of-state vacations and summer programs at esteemed institutions. For those of you who want to stay in New Jersey, however, but are still searching for effortless, fun activities, here’s a guide to help create your memorable 2016 summer break.

For those of you who enjoy some indoor family fun, visiting interactive museums is an educational yet engaging choice. In particular, the Liberty Science Museum located in Jersey City is a great attraction that can provide a whole day of excitement for anyone in the family. For starters, the “I Explore” station located on the second floor is specially designed for children under the age of 5 and includes a variety of hands-on activities like an hourly storybook reading activity. For older children and teenagers, the skyscraper exhibit offers a breathtaking high beam walk that will challenge their fears while displaying the uniqueness behind each skyscraper around the world.

The museum also offers new exhibits every season; as of now, the Infinity Climber exhibit offers a 35-foot high hanging gym, built with sturdy tubes, that will challenge visitors’ navigational skills. Beyond the mentioned attractions, the museum offers many more exhibits ranging from animal shows to cow eye dissection demonstrations. Sowmya Mannimala ’17 exclaims, “I used to visit LSC when I was young, and every time I [went] I would always see new things and learn new things. I especially love the different movies that the IMAX dome offers; it is definitely a great place to spend time with friends and families!”

Another fun activity that families can engage in is tubing, rafting, kayaking, and canoeing at the Delaware River in Milford, New Jersey. The Delaware River Tubing company is the perfect place to take friends and family for a day. The company has been offering fun for families since 1987 and continues to offer more activities during the summer time. Just like the Liberty Science Center, the Delaware River offers a variety of activities for the whole family, which include relaxing on a tube all day or kayaking down the river. The next time you plan on going to the mall or watching a movie, consider the breathtaking views that you will see if you take a drive outside and kayak down the Delaware River instead.

Lastly, another well-known and definitely highly interactive attraction is the Six Flags Great Adventure amusement park located in Jackson, New Jersey. While Six Flags seems like a destination for adventurous people, it is suitable for all ages and personalities. For families with younger children, kids’ rides such as Air Jumbo and Bugs Bunny Camp Carousel are the perfect attractions. For families with older children or adults, the famous roller coasters, such as El Toro, Kingda Ka, and Skull Mountain, will provide the maximum thrill. Beyond the rides, the amusement park also offers the Safari Off Road Adventure, which provides guests with interactions with animals.

Zack Santoro’16 remarks, “Six Flags is a great place to hang out with friends during summer time; I go at least once a year, and every time I visit the park, I would never fail to ride my favorite roller coaster – Nitro.”

These attractions highlight how excitement may be found close to home, though students may not expect this to be so. During this summer, don’t forget to make great plans with family and friends to visit thrilling places – even near home!