Athlete Interview: Joe Brady, Track

Art credits to Lily Yang!

Art credits to Lily Yang!

Sarah John '16, Non-School News Editor

Joe Brady ‘16, a member of the Ridge Track team, has graciously agreed to give The Devil’s Advocate an interview and share details of his experience on the track team. Brady has been a member of the Ridge Track Team for four years and currently serves as co-captain for the varsity team. He throws the shotput, discus and javelin and this year he started running the 400m.

Sarah John (Devil’s Advocate Reporter): When did you start running track? And how did you know this was the sport for you?

Joe Brady: I started my freshman year, doing spring track. I was playing football, but wanted to pick up a second school sport to avoid an excessively long offseason. My freshman football coach recommended I do throwing. I signed up and immediately loved it. I started running my senior year per my coach’s insistence, and that’s been great as well.

SJ: How much time do you spending practicing a week?

JB: Depends on the week. Usually about 16-18 hours: 3.5 on lift days and 2.5 on nonlift days.

SJ: Just to clarify, what does a lift day mean in a track context?

JB: Basically, you lift weights and strength train.

SJ: Who is your hero or idol in regards to track? Why do they inspire you?

JB: I always admired the captain from last year, Andrew McGowan, because he was so determined to succeed. He would always work just a little harder, and ran like a madman at meets. He really demonstrated all the traits that are needed to be a successful athlete and a successful person.

SJ: What is an aspect that is unique to track as a sport?

JB: Track is very focused on times and distances; you are often competing against yourself rather than the other athletes. The emphasis is trying to outdo your own personal bests. This is what makes track challenging: in other sports you must only surpass your opponents to find success, which is pretty easy if you are playing a lackluster team. In track, you must push yourself to new extremes to beat your old marks. In this way it really seems like a personal sport.

SJ: When are you the most nervous before a meet?

JB: The night before I usually get pretty jittery and don’t sleep well, but once meet day arrives, adrenaline and muscle memory take over. My coach always tells me, “It’s good to feel nervous, because that means you care. But you have to be confident in yourself above all else.”

SJ: Do you have any rituals you follow before a meet?

JB: A couple of us take a shot of honey before we race or throw to get a sugar high. Sometimes I punch my head or legs to get pumped if my head’s not in the right place.

SJ: How do you balance running track and school work? Do you have to make any sacrifices?

JB: Sometimes, and I usually concede school before track. Sometimes I have late nights and sometimes I end up doing all my homework in the class before—like Latin homework in Statistics, Physics homework in Latin, and so on. But if I make myself focus and do my work during study hall, I usually get everything done. If I have a meet I will usually come in late the next day, because we get home around 10 or 11 [PM].

SJ: What is your favorite part about running on the school team?

JB:  My teammates. There are few bonds made that compare to the camaraderie and brotherhood of teammates. I don’t mean to sound cliché, but we support each other through the ups and downs of a season, and we help each other get through the tough workouts. Your teammates really define the way your team functions.

SJ: What has been one of your greatest disappointments as an athlete?

JB: Last year, when I didn’t perform well at the state meet. I got too nervous and lost confidence in myself, and didn’t come into the meet ready to compete. This year, I hope to be more mature and use my past experience to be ready to compete. I hope to set a better example as a captain.

SJ: As a graduating senior what advice would you give to underclassmen on track?

JB: Trying to become a great track athlete seems like a daunting task, but all it really takes is dedication and time. Don’t try to be great in one day, just consistently show up and get your work done. On the same note, most people aren’t born with great athletic skill- I know I wasn’t. But as long as you are dedicated and work hard, you can find success.

SJ: Do you see yourself continuing to run track in the future?

JB: If I can, definitely! I hope to become a walk-on on a university track team. I think javelin is my best shot. But if not, I will definitely continue to run and lift, either on my own or with a club.

Support Ridge Track and Joe Brady as they compete this spring season!