SACC Looks to Spread Cultural Awareness at Ridge

Art credits to Joyce An!

Vivek Gurumoorthy ‘17, Sports Editor

Walking through the hallways, one often hears the use of the acronym “SAAC” among their peers. What exactly is SAAC? Kishan Gandham, an officer of the newly created South Asian Culture Club, kindly offered his time to emphasize the mission of the club and reflect on club dynamics.

Vivek Gurumoorthy: What is the main goal of the South Asian Culture Club?

Kishan Gandham: Our main goal is to truly educate people about South Asian culture. The continent of Asia is full of diversity, life, and as our club’s namesake implies, culture. We hope to create an atmosphere where people have an outlet to understand the complexities and beauty of the community as a whole.

VG: What is your specific title as an officer of the club? What responsibilities are associated with your title?

KG: I am the treasurer of the club. I handle club finances and coordinate the movement of money during fundraisers. All of the officers at South Asian Culture Club execute distinct jobs and work closely together.

VG: Are there any charitable organizations that the club will work to benefit?

KG: The majority of our fundraising efforts will go to the Sankara Eye Foundation. It is a charitable organization that provides life-changing eye surgery to those who live in impoverished conditions. As an organization that operates primarily in South Asia, it aligns perfectly with the principles of SACC. In the future, we will consider the incorporation of other charitable organizations.

VG: What events and fundraisers has the club participated in so far? How successful were they?

KG: In order to raise donations for the Sankara Eye Foundation, we organized a two-day bake sale and raised more than $100. These modest, yet meaningful contributions boost the spirit of SACC.

VG: The membership of the club seems to be largely Indian. How will the club include cultural celebrations and appreciation of other South Asian cultures?

KG: Thank you for raising this point, as reaching out to other South Asian cultures is critical. As of right now, the membership of the club does indeed seem to be largely Indian. Given that we are the South Asian Culture Club—not the Indian Culture Club—we will try to engage other Asian and non-Asian backgrounds. In order to establish cultural overlap, we hope to discuss common principles and traditions shared by other groups.

VG: What future events and fundraisers will SACC organize?

KG: Regarding future fundraisers, we hope to sell necklaces and perhaps incorporate henna designing into a fundraiser. In addition, we would like to work with the Ridge International Dance Ensemble to plan a possible event in the future. SACC looks favorably upon working with other clubs in order to fulfill a similar agenda.

VG: What efforts will the club take to increase membership among people who have and do not have South Asian heritage?

KG: In order to increase membership, we will continue to host events and grow our name. Morning announcements about SACC make the group even more recognizable. With more people in the club, more funds can be raised for our causes.

VG: What is the thing you appreciate the most about South Asian culture?
KG: Words fail to do South Asian culture justice, as it is more than simply the food, the music, the dance, and the film that sets this rich culture apart. Rather, it is the sense of understanding and unity that we as South Asians feel. Even if you are not South Asian, attending one meeting can transform your perspective. We serve samosas to ensure that members leave each meeting with a full mind and stomach! All students are welcome to attend club meetings in Room 524 on Monday mornings. We encourage members to utilize Facebook for immediate announcements.

South Asian Culture Club’s dual mission of fundraising and cultural appreciation strikes an ideal balance between service and recreation. Judging from Kishan’s ringing endorsement of SACC, one must not overlook the strength of regional kinship.