Teacher Interview: Mr. Galesi

Karen Shen '16, Opinions Editor

With his quirky personality, amusing sound effects, and engaging projects, it’s not hard to see why Mr. Galesi has become a fan favorite in the Ridge community. You can find him housed in the computer lab in room 701, a room filled with eager students and aptly funny computer science memes pinned on the bulletin board. He has risen to stardom from “math teacher” to “that new AP Comp Sci teacher.” Murmurs have permeated the hallways – “Who is Mr. Galesi?” – and I’ve set out to answer the pressing question by talking to the star himself.

(Disclaimer: responses range from rapid-fire to pensive musings. I was instructed by him to include the typed out emojis to better convey his tone.)

Karen Shen (Reporter for The Devil’s Advocate): How long have you been teaching at Ridge?

Mr. Galesi: I’ve been teaching at Ridge the past 5 years.

KS: What classes do you teach and have you taught at Ridge?

Mr. G: I currently teach AP Comp Sci and Geometry. I have also taught Algebra II and Math Seminar/Support.

KS: Why math?

Mr. G: (sassily) Because math is amazing. Duh.

KS: How did you decide to become a teacher? What inspired you?

Mr. G: I had a few college professors who were amazing who inspired me. The one I’m thinking of was also a quirky individual. He made it fun and [made math] make sense, and he had a great sense of humor. It was a lot of work but you felt like you had accomplished something when you were done. Also, I’d always worked with kids – I have coached basketball and worked at summer camps teaching archery.

KS: What were your favorite classes/subjects when you were a student?

Mr. G: Besides math, I really enjoyed history – especially WWI and WWII topics.

KS: If you had to teach any other subject, what would you want to teach?

Mr. G: Science (Physics).

KS: What’s your favorite part of being a teacher?

Mr. G: The students and seeing them create amazing things.

KS: Let’s talk about your new course, AP Computer Science. How did you get your start in Comp Sci?

Mr. G: I took Java courses in college and learned to love the challenge.

KS: What are your goals for the Comp Sci class?

Mr. G: To see my students make an app, game, or program that came from their imagination. Also to see them do well on the AP exam 😉

KS: What do you hope your students will glean from your guidance?

Mr. G: There are many ways to perform the same task. Be creative and try to find your own solutions. You’ll feel more fulfilled at the end of the day.

KS: Do you have any advice for students who want to pursue math or teaching?

Mr. G: It’s amazingly rewarding and you can accomplish great things, but you have to love it. Find the thing you’re passionate about and stick to it.

BONUS: Other Quirky Facts

KS: What do you like to do in your free time?

Mr. G: I still play basketball (Mr. Galesi is 6’3”). I like playing music – the drums. I try to stay active and I like to travel.

KS: Anything quirky you would like students to know about you?

Mr. G: I’ve been sky diving :O

KS: Thank you so much for your time, Mr. Galesi!

Mr. G: No problem!

While this conversation is just one snapshot and cannot capture all of the intriguing facets of Mr. Galesi, it has hopefully provided some insight into his mission as an educator.

Want to learn more? Sign up for Geometry or AP Computer Science for the full experience. Make sure to visit Mr. Galesi in Room 701 where you’ll be greeted with an energetic hand wave and beaming smile.